Saturday, October 01, 2005

Rain and Why I Love It

I live in Portland, Oregon. People seem to label Seattle as the land of depressing weather, but they're just swinging with the popular vote. Portland has some of the longest running rain spells on the west coast and when the rainy season starts, it won't stop for at least six months.

I was standing at the PSU street car stop with a couple of people from my math class today and the raining was entering its thirteenth straight hour. You could tell the "born-and-raised" Portlanders from the transplants. We were the ones not even noticing the downpour.

The thing is that I've never hated rain. I've embraced it since I was a kid. I may complain out loud, but usually because I hate driving on slick pavement or with zero visibility. Rain itself is something that I respect the most about this city's weather patterns. It washes away whatever harshness may have been brought out recently.

Rain forces us to deal with whatevers bothering us. It's such shitty weather that it makes it so easy to just go, "...and now it's raining on top of everything else!" That's a cop out that so very many tend to use as their own personal chestnut of frustration.

The rainy days bring some of the best moments in my life. The moments that I smile at how great things can go. Now if I could just make it to my car without landing on my ass from slipping down my building's front steps...

2 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the rain. I still dont own an umbrella and get lots of wierd looks when i go somewhere if it's raining outside. I dont see why people freak out about it here, it's not hydrochloric acid.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

yesterday walking back to the car from class it was raining. stever and i were quite pleased. we'd missed the rain. one of the best parts of living in oregon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home