Wednesday, September 15, 2004

quotes to start off with...

Heard on Scrubs:

"Relationships don't work they way they do on television and in the movies. Will they? Won't they? And then they finally do, and they're happy forever. Gimme a break. Nine out of ten of them end because they weren't right for each other to begin with, and half of the ones who get married get divorced anyway, and I'm telling you right now, through all this stuff I have not become a cynic. I haven't. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is mainly about pushing chocolate covered candies and, y'know, in some cultures, a chicken. You can call me a sucker, I don't care, because I do believe in it. Bottom line: it's couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else, but the big difference is they don't let it take them down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time. If it's right, and they're real lucky, one of them will say something."

So in reality, what can we take from this quote? I mean, here we are thinking two things about love and relationships: that love doesn't exist, so we fake it or that it's a real thing that we are constantly in search of, but never really believe we've ever found.

Another little one liner i've gleaned from the media recently is the tagline for a movie called "Closer." The plot isn't really important, but the tagline in question is, "if you believe in love at first sight, you'll never stop looking." Essentially, it says that if you are a romantic believing in the idea of an instant chemistry, an insane romantic connection, than you'll never give up that search, even when you're in a totally great relationship.

I'm of the mindset that this is all true. Both the quote and the tagline pretty much filer into my perception on what's up with love in my experience. The fact is that I don't think it's possible for me to be satasfied anymore. I've loved one woman and she dumped me without any real cause... that was 6 years ago next month. She's married now and is living that happy homemaker life and I'm typing on internet blogs at 4am about how I can't just relax when I'm in a relationship of any kind.

In the end, there is no resolution this neurosis other than just faking it. Frankly, I've been getting by on an aloof nature and bitter cynicism that people seem to dig as part of my personality. Hey, look! It's Mike. He just needs to get laid, that'll cheer him up. He's never in a good mood. Does he even remember what it's like to have one?

The answer? Nope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home