Friday, December 16, 2005

The true meaning of X-Mas


Let's get one thing straight: I love the holidays and I hate the holidays.

First, why I hate the holidays: it's the only time of year I could be called an alcoholic, mostly because I temper any of my insecurities regarding family with copious amounts of booze. Although, from talking to friends and associates, this is apparently normal. The downside is that my father has apparently given up drinking, so I was the only one at Thanksgiving slurring my words while trying to ask what the soup was. The sad thing is that I never do this except around this time of year. I don't get hammered nightly, weekly, or even monthly. I know my limits and I usually have a beer or two. Rarely do I venture into the hard A. S'just the setting. Who knows the reasons, eh?

Also, I somehow manage to overdraw my checking account every year. EVERY year... Not this time, though... No, no. Gotta plan this time... *does the best Mr. Burns impression he's capable of*

Why I love the holidays? I do not know. I'll tell you this: I have been known to get festive. I love Christmas shopping, I'm more charitable, and I even curb the cynicism for at least six to ten weeks. The most common response to hearing about this change in mood is, "Well, that's bullshit. Why can't you just be like that all the time?" To that, I say, "Feh!" It's the holiday season. Lighten up and stow it. Just accept that once a year people can put their selfish, narcissistic feelings in their back pockets. Don't demand that they outright change because, frankly, who has? Ok, besides Scrooge.

Lately, I've been hearing something from people when they find out I've gotten them a Christmas present. "Dude, don't do that. I don't want to have to get you anything. I'm broke and I'd feel bad." Again, I say, "Feh!" I'm not giving you a present to get something from you. I know you're broke. I'm not doing this to get more gifts. If I wanted stuff, I'd just use the money I spent on you to buy the things I wanted. I love my friends, I love my family, and I even love my drinking buddies and co-workers. I have gotten these people gifts of my affection. I didn't spend fortunes or pawn my worldly goods. I just got them things I knew they'd like and hoped that they had a happy holiday. The only thing I expect to get out of it is the look on their faces. They're my loved ones and I am imbued with rightious holiday spirit!

Christmas has a bad rep thanks to consumerism overkill. Black Friday, sales galore, gift cards and shopping sprees... That's the bullshit of the X-Mas time. Sitting around at Shari's (for the umpteenth year in a row), exchanging gifts while our parents are all nestled in their beds, waiting for us to descend on their houses and eat their food and so on... Tipping whatever poor soul got saddled with the Christmas eve shift as much as we can... Remembering the times of laughter and love... That's the holidays to me. I hope others find as much or even half as much solace as I do in those little moments.

A merry Christmas to all and to all... well, yeah.

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Laura said...

merry fuckin christmas, mike.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work your cares away,
Dancing's for another day.
Let the Fraggles play,
We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home