Tuesday, November 29, 2005

New theme song


In my opinion, Ally Mcbeal was a shit show. It was derivative of everything that made "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" great and the show focused too much on sex lives and the neurotic babbling of an anorexic. That's my opinion as a critic of television, 10 years strong.

Although, I will say one thing that David E. Kelly got right on this show was when Ally was in therapy for the umpteenth time. Her therapist's diagnosis for getting through her day was to get a theme song to dance to. I stand behind this idea one hundred percent. I've even made it my mission to make mixes to match moods and average days or experiences and even friends themes for when I have happy memories of them. Soundtracks are important in the cinema of living, y'know.

The current song that pretty much governs my mood is "Ashes" by a band called Embrace from the UK. On their website they've actually posted from a paragraph describing one of the critic's feelings on what the song means and I think it sums up better than I could for why it's great for me (and maybe even YOU) in this period of breathing as a biological Rube Goldberg contraption (read: "living"):

"As such "Ashes" is a valediction, which is a very odd thing to begin a record with. But it makes sense, given the talk of lines being drawn underneath things, because it's a song about taking knocks and transferring that energy into your own, about using mistakes and regrets to drive you forward. Which is apposite, because it fulfils so many promises at once that it seems destined to become a signature tune, and how many bands can claim to have written one of those for their fourth album? Mighty but not flustered, grand but not pompous, big without being long, anthemic without resorting to cliche - so many nails are being so firmly hit on the head with this song that it's a wonder why their strikes were ever off-centre in the past."

(I'm going to forgo posting the lyrics and just say that, if you're curious, "acquire it")

When/If you comment, please put what your current theme song is (if you have one).

5 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

I liked the Ally McBeals with Robert Downey Jr. in them, but most of the other ones kinda sucked. David E. Kelly sucks on the whole, so really, what can one expect...besides who is sleeping with who(m?), who heard what in the unisex, and vonda shepard crooning love songs as everyone drinks away their troubles...

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Laura said...

god that skinny bitch is just gross.
anyway, my theme song would probably depend on my mood. I cant narrow it down to just one... I would use Dark Angel by VNV Nation for the gothier moments, and Ocean Man by Ween for the weird moments.

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just really like Lucy Lui (sp?), so I enjoyed that aspect of the show.

My current song (which has been current for quite a long time now) is "The Doctor" by Four Bitchin' Babes. "...it's all in your head, and it's movin' on down to your toes..."

--Lossandra

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

Fischerspooner - Cloud

hah. whatever.

<3

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger The Infinite Jester said...

recent new themesong for me

"No Hard Feelings" -- Bloodhound Gang

 

Post a Comment

<< Home