Tuesday, June 21, 2005

525, 600 minutes

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Moments So Dear
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
How Do You Measure - Measure A Year?
In Daylights - In Sunsets
In Midnights - In Cups Of Coffee
In Inches - In Miles
In Laughter - In Strife

I've never seen a production of RENT. There was a trailer for the film version (which looks great and I'm very interested in seeing it and/or the play) and the song, "Seasons of Love" was playing over the whole clip. It was really a great song and it made me think about what really can happen in a year. How do you measure a year?


It makes a good deal of sense. If I was to sit back and reflect on June of 2004, it would be a completely different world than this one. I didn't know Alicia, Kelly hated me, Will was moving away, I had nothing going on for me, I lived in my father's garage, and I wasn't even remotely happy with myself as a person.

To say things have changed is a pretty obvious statement. Here we are, not where we used to be. That's all the progress you need to make in a year.

The part of these lyrics that I honed in on was the part about HOW you measure that year. Do you measure them in the pain? Do you measure them in the nights spent out on the town? The days that you worked shitty jobs? The successes? The failures?

How do I measure progress in my own life? Obviously not by career or job growth, because that hasn't been all the that healthy during this time. Obviously not by finishing school, because we're just now getting around to that.

If I were to think about how I measured a year of progress, it'd be by the experiences that happen in that short time and what they mean. When your life gets too big to think about, what with feeling like you should be doing something else, constantly reveling in the mistakes and never moving forward, it's the little things that can help you measure a day or a week or a month in that year.

Right now, it's a conversation with Karl that let's me know just how good of friends we are. It's a night on the roof of a high rise with Kelly and Will, photographing an amazing, surreal storm over the horizon. It's a night on the town with Joey, picking up girls at bakeries and buying them coffee and losing to them at foosball. It's going to see Batman with my Dad, and feeling like we never stopped spending time together like father and son.

It's about the next step. That's how you measure the moments. One at a time.

1 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

I used to sing that song a lot. That and "I'll Cover You." Now, not so much. Not as fond I suppose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home