Sunday, July 10, 2005

Why We Fight

The mindset has changed.

After all of the work you put into something pretty much shows you it was all for naught, you begin to reevaluate how to perceive the principle of these... well, attempts at intimacy and friendship.

Many films and stand-up comedians have tried to hypothesize why men and women simply cannot be friends. The myth of platonic relationships seems more valid every day. Now, I'm not going to try to avoid sounding bitter here. I am, a little. The fact of the matter is that there are some x-factors in this philosophy. I have a few very close female friends, but frankly, I've either been attracted to them at some point or dated them and realized it worked better as friends or was never attracted to them at all. Why would you hang out with people who you didn't share interests or a connection with? And if said people were of the sex that you were attracted to, and there was a connection that existed, then wouldn't there be some type of sexual tension? Do you only hang out with men/women you don't find attractive? Honestly, this is just on my mind recently, so don't take it to heart and get all bent out of shape about it.

The last few months of singlehood have been pretty interesting. Not as depressing as I thought that they would be after being tossed out of the last relationship. The thing is that after awhile, it stops being painful. It just happens. You can still feel bad about it, and I will say that those days did occur, but the reality is that life moves you on so that you don't have to. I've had to face a great deal of things about my perceptions of intimacy and relationships that, frankly, I've been avoiding since I was 18. S'been... enlightening.

Is it just me, or are the two things that the general public, the average citizen, if you will, are most afraid of are sex and death? The two things that pretty much scare us the most are the act of expressing love/lust or ending our existence? It seems almost like we're so afraid of what will transcend us above our natural existence that we hide behind religion and escapism to be in total denial. We will all die and we will always want to fuck. This is the nature of life. The faster we learn this, the sooner we'll be able to talk about sex, frankly, and contemplate death without being goth about it.

These are the things that we fight about: Sex, death, sensitivity, loss, love, friendship, and the nature of relationships in general. Time to put up or shut up.

2 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

Or it could just be the narcissism problem...

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

I believe the biggest fear is of public speaking--not of death or sex. Although I'm sure some people are afraid of those. I'm afraid of neither. I must go spray paint a hippo planter now and plant california poppys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home