Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dancing with myself

New York has been pretty great, so far. Hanging with the sister is pretty fun. I've taken some great photos and I've discovered what REAL comic book shops are like (i.e. super megastores packed with interested people who have to form lines that queue they're so long). Tomorrow, I'm going to try to see the DC comic offices, the MOMA, and my sisters play (i <3 musical theater) and then see my grandparents this weekend.

I will say this, though: I had an experience that pretty much made me pretty confidant. I won't go into to too much detail, but it didn't involve a success of any kind of trivial nature. I didn't win money or get praise, or get laid. I didn't fail, either. I just had a series of events that made me stop and go, "y'know what? i really like who i've become. fuck anybody that has a problem with that." I'll work hard to show them my good sides, but if they don't like me, i'm not upset. if they don't want to date me, then i'll leave them to their opinion and still treat them with respect. if they don't want to hire me, then i'll take what i've learned from this experience and move on.

This is not a post written about anyone specific or to anyone specific. I didn't bomb my job interview or ask a girl out and get rejected or get in a fight with someone over something. I just... realized that I'm not a person who should obsess about what others think of me (ok, who out there wants to be the first to go, "dude, i've been fucking telling you that for years!") I like me. I like who I am and what I have to offer. Those that can't appreciate that choose not to and that has little to do with me unless I'm raping their grandmother and poisoning their dog at the time.

I'm Mike. Hollywood. Mikey. Jackass. He-of-the-Mighty-Man-Bag. Take your pick. If you choose to associate with me or date me or employ me, that's great. If not, I don't cry about it. I give a smirk, look away, and nod. Then... I walk off humming Billy Idol and move on to whatever comes next.

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once awhile, you might miss it.

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

"dude, i've been fucking telling you that for years!"
haha i got to be first.

anyway, NYC is one place i haven't been yet. I'd like to go.

It's always good to get out of your usual grind and see what life is like in other places... It gives you a new angle on seeing yourself, and usually that's a good thing.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy revelation! Contentment is so much easier when it's disassociated from the opinions of others. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Don't suppose you got my letter before you left...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home