Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Short post during an all-nighter...

We're winding down on the end of the collegiate experience for good ol' Mikey. Lord, how did we get here?

I'm typing this at 4am on a Red Bull and coffee binge. I have another paper and one more question on the take home final to go. For some reason, this gets harder the closer I get to the finish line. It's almost like I don't want it to end. When it does, all I'm left with is the degree and the memories (which have been great), but then what? Where to next? Job prospects seem to appear for me and then just as quickly evaporate. I'll get called out of the blue for an interview, kick ass at it, have some spotty communication with the HR rep... and then nothing. Suffice it to say, I can't keep up working at the video store. Night jobs are offcially NOT my thing anymore. I need my life back.

Right now, with news of my building going condo, the inevitable move has to commence... AGAIN. I hate moving. I hate packing, throwing out stuff I can't fit, folding clothes, cleaning floors, begging for help from friends and family, and then spending the hottest day of the year unloading it all into a new place with LOTS of stairs (always stairs... so many...) and having to reaquaint myself with a new home. There's this one quote in Garden State about home which I don't feel like citing here, but it basically states that home doesn't exist except in memory of the past. No matter how hard I try, the only home I've created is this city. That's why I stay here. It's my home. The whole damn place. From the comic book store to the Chinese restaurant, Sushiland and Powells, the video store and the Bitter End, Coffee House and Music Millenium... This is it. No matter how many times I bounce around from place to place, the city stays with me.

Jake, Christine, Sanelle, and a few others and I are trying to swing a 5 bedroom house in a really nice part of town. The price is perfect and would allow me to get a handle on my finances once again. Oh who am I kidding, I never have a handle on my finances...

Rats. I've killed enough time. Back to work...

Party at the Bitter End. Sunday June 18th, 6pm or so. We've sorta rented the bar. Come buy drinks for Kevin, Baker, Emily and me. We've earned it and the drunken thanks and hugs of love for all of the support that people have given us will make it all worth it. I'm going to try to get my dad to come. This time I'll actually know he's there when I'm drunk off of my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home